Monday 21 January 2013

Save The Nail


Sorry about the lack of posts, it’s been a tough old week! I’ve been so ill, I haven’t done anything apart from sleep and throw up (nice image!)  but now I am better and I’m in full blogging mode!
As you know I had my interview last week to go back to college. I decided on a hairdressing course, I was a little concerned about going back to college with a load of school leavers but when I arrived for my induction on Friday I was pleasantly surprised to find I was the youngest member of the group. Don’t get me wrong I don’t dislike school leavers; they just make me feel so old! I turned 28 last week so I am a little age sensitive at the moment.
Other things getting me down, MY NAILS!! I refuse to post a picture, but they are a mess. I had acrylics on over Christmas, I don't usually, I prefer a shorter nail, but that just me. However, my friend has stiletto nails all the time and they look fab, one thing let to another, I was in the festive mood, the nail technician offered me fairy dust and I that was it! I had talons.  Once I was back in the office I decided enough was enough they had to come off, so with a a lot of determination I managed to get them off (determination = 2 bottles of nail varnish remover and three hours in front of the TV watching Greys Anatomy) and now my nails are RANK!! no I am not exaggerating I feel like crying! I painted them because quite frankly without polish they look like they belong to miner, and they looked like little stubs of red on the end of my fingers, not a good look. They keep peeling, flaking and chipping then peeling again! So what to do?
I was thinking of having Shellac nails, but I'm not paying £20 for them to not chip but still look naff. So I've been searching for free (I am a student after all) and cheap methods, products to help them grow again... what do you reckon do any work?
Moisturise
According to THIRD-AGE The best way to grow strong nails is to make sure that they are kept moisturised. Because nails take a lot of abuse in daily life and are repeatedly exposed to harsh detergents and chemicals that can dry them out, it's important to keep them moisturized. Most nail polish removers are alcohol based, so it is especially important to moisturize after removing nail polish.
Diet
Got milk? Drink some every day. The vitamin D in milk will strengthen your nails and promote growth. Vitamin A has been shown to help fingernails grow faster. Up your intake by eating carrots, mangoes, and apricots. Drink your vitamin C in orange juice. This helps the production of collagen, which helps skin stay firm and allows for healthy, fast nail growth.
The guys at NAIL AID reckon water is a no no...
Constantly submerging your nails in water can, paradoxically, dry out your nails. If you spend a lot of time with your hands in water, make sure you protect your hands with gloves wherever possible, and take time to apply a rich hand cream once or twice a day, rubbing it well in to the nails and cuticles. Nail-Aid's Cuticle Cure is made specially for this purpose.
Eating Jelly
Apparently Jelly is full of protein which helps straighten nails

Weird
Combine three tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of lemon juice. Soak the nails in this mixture for ten minutes and then dry them with a towel. This is the best home remedy that one can adopt to strengthen and grow the nails fast.
To heal nail problems and promote growth, soak your nails in a solution comprising of half a cup of tomato juice mixed with two tablespoons of olive oil.
Rub garlic on your fingernails to help them grow faster. Leave on fingernails for a half hour and then rinse. then rub a lemon on your fingers to remove the garlic smell. I will NOT be trying this one, rank nails or not!Rub garlic on your fingernails to help them grow faster. Leave on fingernails for a half hour and then rinse. then rub a lemon on your fingers to remove the garlic smell. I will NOT be trying this one, rank nails or not!
Any products that you recommend?
Much Love 
H x

No comments:

Post a Comment