Saturday 29 December 2012

New Year, New Project...Well Almost New Year


A new year brings new challenges, new resolutions and new ideas and to kick off 2013 I have decided I am going to go with a new hobby. No I have no desire to start up knitting, Jogging or fencing but I am pondering the idea of up cycling. I’m not some kind or eco warrior (I try to recycle but it just doesn’t happen) I am a little obsessed with the whole Shabby chic, vintage, pretty pastels thing (my sister says my house looks like a Unicorn has eaten a Cath Kidston shop and threw up) and I am loving old furniture made new. 1. I am saving the environment one welsh dresser at a time 2. Old furniture is made so much better than all this flat pack mass produced stuff 3. Character, when I got my first house, five of my friends all had the same Malm Coffee table form Ikea 4. Vintage is cheap if you do it right and are willing to do the work yourself. 5. Its fun!
 I'll be posting a few pics of some of my furniture when I get home... So keep an eye out.

Like any new project I’m not starting small, no! I am making a… wait for it… a shoe cupboard! Yes, I’ve always been told to dream big! So here is the plan…
I have been given a grotty wardrobe, it’s made from Melamine, but it is surprisingly sturdy (I know what I said about Character, but I believe I can add this!) So far I have removed the doors here’s the exciting part. I am going to paint the outside with Annie Sloan Paint (Annie Sloan is a chalk paint witch apparently sticks to anything and they come in a range or fab vintage colours) I have Provence for the inside, the outside is going to be painted in Original (a vintage cream) then I am going to wall paper the back in pretty vintage floral’s, add a row of shelves and some hooks and Voila! A Fabulously, vintage, shoe cupboard your friends will be jealous of!
I will post a pic of the wardrobe when I get home. I’ll post regularly on my progress (unless I fail epically and then you will never hear about this ‘Hobby’ again!)

What do you guys think of up cycling?

Much Love H x


No comments:

Post a Comment